Imagine being caught off guard and not having a great response to a question for one of the most important meetings of your life? Wouldn’t that be embarrassing and awkward! Interviews are an inevitable process of getting through your dream job. Be it a short interview specific to asking you questions about yourself or a longer interview to assess your technical skills and know-how, you’ve got to be prepared.
Interviews help employers assess if you are the right fit for the job and will be able to meet their workplace requirements. From assessing your professional experience and academic qualifications to understanding your expectations and whether you are a culture fit, an interview is that one meeting to set a great impression as a candidate. But how can one set the best first impression? By practicing!
Mock, but Make it Right
Even the most confident of people are taken aback by interviews at times. To ensure that you are fully prepared, the one thing you must do as a candidate preparing for interviews is to take mock interviews through various mock interview websites. Mock interview services have simulated rounds of interviews that help you prepare for the real deal - but beware, not every mock interview could be right for you. Wouldn’t it be great to have access to a mock interview that can help you specifically prepare for the job you are seeking? Let’s take a look at some of the best mock interview preparation websites that can help you land your job in 2021. Just in case if you don't have time to skim through every platform, feel free to directly checkout the comparison infographic at the end of this blog
Let’s start with one of the best options that help you prepare with *drumroll* recruiters themselves!
Preplaced is India’s leading interview preparation and mentoring platform for people looking to explore mock interviews. It allows individuals to customize their interview prep process by allowing them to choose specific courses and be mentored by leading industry professionals.
Preplaced is one of the only companies that provides candidates with a unique form of personalized mentoring to assist their placement journey. Preplaced’s mentors work at some of the world’s top companies - from Uber and Target to Microsoft, Intel, Amazon and Deloitte. The company takes much effort into onboarding top mentors to supervise and conduct mock interviews for candidates, offer them tips and tricks of the trade and assist their interview journey. For example, if you’re interviewing for a job at Amazon, how great would it be to have support from a mentor who already works there?
Mock Interviews for Wide Range of Domains & Companies
- Preplaced leaves no stone unturned in helping candidates from every possible background improve their interviewing skills as well as soft skills. Almost 96% of people who have signed up with Preplaced have been able to bag a job with their dream company - be it in any sector, field or industry.
- Preplaced provides mock interviews for a large variety of fields ranging from coding, system design, product management, data science to even electronics, finance and management roles. Whatever be your domain or niche, you are bound to find a mock interview here. This allows Preplaced to have an extra edge over other mock interview platforms which are restricted to only a few specific domains like coding or product management.
- Whether you are looking for FAANG mock interviews, Google mock interviews, Facebook mock interviews or Amazon mock interviews, Preplaced offers a wide variety of practice mock interviews for a large pool of companies as well.
Interviewer from the Company of Your Choice
- Once a candidate shares their requirements, goals, background, and experience, Preplaced searches for and provides the candidate with the best mentors, from which the candidate has an option to choose the most suited to their needs. Infact, the candidates receives the interviewer's linkedin profile beforehand and gets to reject and finalise the interviewer themselves.
- Being able to take a mock interview with a real interviewer from one of your target companies is a great bonus. It boosts your interview preparation and prepares your mindset for what is going to come.
Perfect Interview Duration (1 hour)
- Unlike other famous platforms, Preplaced doesn't compromise on the duration of mock interviews. All mock interviews are 1 hour sessions with a 45min & 15min split for actual interview and feedback from the interviewer. This plays an important role in practising multiple questions and simulating a real world interview experience for the candidate.
- All Interviewers are very supportive and have a neck towards giving it back to the community. As a result, sometimes these sessions even go much longer than 1 hour if candidates have queries to be resolved.
- To get more idea on mock interview structure and how it goes, you can check out Preplaced's Youtube Channel.
Unique Goal Setting Sessions
- Planning out your interview preparation strategy is a big task in itself. To solve this, Preplaced offers candidates a novel set of goal-setting sessions curated to prepare personalised curriculum based on their dream companies, current preparation level, expertise, required improvements, goals and needs.
- Preplaced also is one of the few companies globally to offer interview preparation and support to candidates with job referrals. Honing a large mentor community from a huge pool of companies allows Preplaced to help candidates get quality referrals for their target companies.
- This feature is available only for Complete Interview Preparation Bundle.
Affordable Pricing - Especially when it results in helping you bag your dream job!
- The level of tailoring on Preplaced is so high that it makes you forget their pricing, which is also a steal compared to their service offerings and post-interview support.
- Candidates have access to a mock interview with an interviewer from their target company, starting as less as INR 1,799/- taxes included (starting at 29$ for outside India), including time and access with a choice of mentors and a detailed interview performance analysis. Pricing increases with increase in experience level of the candidate and interviewer.
- For candidates opting for referrals to the best companies globally, flexible scheduling, community support and goal setting discussions in addition to the mock interview and mentoring from real-life interviewers, they have a higher package(Complete Interview Preparation Bundle) at a mere INR 3,499 (99$ for outside India) - nothing in comparison to interviewing at the best places and booking a slot at your dream job!
- Additionally, Preplaced also provides "Consulting sessions with domain experts" and interviewers for candidates looking to get guidance on interview preparation, resume or interview process in general.
- You can explore all packages here.
A mock interview website that allows candidates to have access to technical interviews, Pramp helps you hold flexible interview sessions.
Focused Specifically for Coding & System Design
- Pramp offers interviews to candidates specifically looking at positions in highly technical spaces. So it’s a great website for someone in front-end or back-end system design, data structures, and algorithms. It has recently started supporting other domains like product management and data science.
- Pramp is mostly run by a community of engineers; thus, the information is very specific to engineering positions, that too, mostly coding. Pramp is a great site for engineers to unlock their potential in terms of practice for interview building skills, and they offer a range of questions to sharpen skills. However, if you are looking for more versatile options, Pramp may not be the most suitable choice.
Peers as Interviewers
- One of the major limitations of Pramp is that you get a peer as your interviewer. Unlike other platforms, where an expert or mentor takes your mock interview, on Pramp, you are matched with peer with similar experience by the software. Also, candidates are not given recordings of their interviews to analyze later.
- This might be helpful for people who are in early phases of their preparation and looking to prepare with a peer, but might not be a perfect mock interview experience.
Short Interview Timing (30 min)
- Pramp offers 30-minute interview sessions only. This might not prove to be a real simulation of actual interview (which is typically 45 min to 1 hour).
- After 30-minutes, you reverse the roles and spend next 30-minutes taking the interview for your peer.
Pricing: Free of cost
- As the interviews are guided by peers and not experts, it allows Pramp to support free mock interview model. Hence, if you are looking for a free mock interview site specifically for computer science, you can definitely go for Pramp.
Interviewbuddy is another known mock interview website. It provides an easy interface for candidates to schedule and practice mock interviews with industry experts.
Provides Technical & HR Interviews
- InterviewBuddy is strongly focused on the technical side, only providing candidates with online interview support in technical domains like APIs, databases, programming etc. InterviewBuddy allows candidates to be interviewed by industry experts; however, to unlock premium benefits which include speaking to experienced professionals, comes at a cost.
No choice over Interviewer
- InterviewBuddy is rigid when it comes to choosing the mock interviewer. Also, there is no mechanism to verfiy the identity of the interviewer as candidates are not shared interviewer details before the session.
- Going by what interviewbuddy claims, all interviewers are industry experts. Hence, it allows candidates to take mentor based mock interviews compared to peer based mock interview platforms like Pramp.
Insufficient Mock Interview Duration (25 mins)
- Short interview timing is one of the major drawbacks of Interviewbuddy. 25 minutes is not a sufficient time to touch upon various aspects of the interview or even practice enough questions, requiring people to take multiple such sessions to correctly simulate an actual interview experience.
- The interview session comes along with detailed feedback - which many people find tough to consume within a short span of 25 minutes. Such short duration is very less, even for the interviewer to understand the candidate and provide a valuable feedback.
- For a short duration of a 25-minute interview, InterviewBuddy charges candidates a steep fee starting from INR 1,299. Candidates would ideally need to undergo at least 4-5 such sessions, bringing the average cost of using InterviewBuddy per candidate to about INR 5,495. The price includes the interview session along with detailed feedback - which many people find tough to consume within a short span of 25 minutes.
- You can checkout and compare all their packages here.
Interviewing.io helps candidates get access to an anonymous interview panel where they can get in touch with the mock interview recruiter if a mock interview goes well.
Focuses on Coding & System Design Mock Interviews
- Interviewing focuses only on coding and system design mock interviews, so it is not useful platform for people requiring interviews of other areas.
- It also has its own platform for conducting coding mock interviews. You can check out their sample mock interview videos to get more idea about it.
Interviewers from Top Companies
- Like many other platforms on this list, Interviewing also follows a mentor based mock interview model rather than a peer-to-peer mock interviews.
- Just like Preplaced, Interviewing.io has a few big names on their mentor and recruiter databases, such as Google, Amazon and Microsoft.
Flexibility & Interview Duration
- Candidates have the option to schedule their interviews flexibly. However, the duration of the interview is on the mock interviewer, and there is no fixed amount of time a candidate gets. So, for example, if a mock interview doesn’t go too well, candidates may be cut short in 10 minutes even though they’ve paid the full price. But that is rarely the case, so there is nothing to worry about in terms of interview duration.
Anonymity & Interview Format
- Being able to give anonymous interviews is one of their key USPs. Many people might find it more comfortable to practice without revealing their identity. But, if you are someone who likes a personel connect with the interviewer and want to test your presence, it might be a negative for you.
- One of the biggest drawbacks of this website is that interviews are only conducted via audio or voice means and not video (because of keeping anonymous interviews). Thus, candidates do not get the full video call etiquette training or simulation of a real interview.
- Slightly steeper than their competitors, mock interviews on Interviewing.io are priced between USD 100 and USD 200 (or starting at INR 7,252).
- It majorly focuses on US market and hence the pricing might seem higher to people outside US.
If you are looking for a tech mock interview site, Exponent is another such mock interview practice platform for candidates looking at specific courses like technical program management and product marketing management.
Provides Software, Technical & Product Management Interviews
- Like many other platforms on this list, Exponent targets mock interviews for various key domains. It also boasts mentors from top-notch companies like Google, Facebook, Uber and provides strong competition to Preplaced and Interviewing.
- In addition to mock interviews, Exponent provides courses on these domains too. It also offers company specific interview questions and answers for candidates to prepare from.
Select Your Own Interviewer
- Exponent offers candidates with a fairly large community of technical experts from a variety of technical backgrounds who can offer candidates support and feedback.
- All the mentor profiles are directly visible on their website. You can even checkout reviews of previous candidates and make an informed choice while selecting your interviewer.
- Exponent also provides an option of practising mock interviews with peer. If you are fine with peer being your interviewer, this might prove to be a good cost-effective bonus option for you.
1-hour Mock Interview
- Exponent is one another platform which provides 1-hour mock interview sessions with the mentor. As mentioned earlier, this duration is perfect for touching upon various concepts as well as getting a feel of an actual interview.
Highest Pricing in the List
- The cost of single mentor based mock interview session on Exponent is 250$.
- Exponent is a costly option for students or young professionals to invest in - especially when they are uncertain about landing a job but need all the help they can to hone their technical and soft skills.
- If you are fine with giving mock interviews with peer, Exponent provides that for free.
- If you are looking for courses you can get it on a subscription model starting at fair price of 17$/month.
- You can checkout and book a session here
- Interview Duration: Preplaced , Exponent
- Peer-to-Peer Mock Interviews: Pramp, Exponent
- Large variety of domains: Preplaced
- Interviewers of Top Companies: Preplaced, Exponent, Interviewing
- Pricing: Preplaced
Overall Winner: Preplaced
When it comes to online interview preparation, candidates need all the help they can get - especially when they’re in an unsure and under-confident stage in their career & lives.
Based on a detailed analysis of essential factors, Preplaced comes out to be a clear winner. It is a great support system that offers candidates from every background (not just technical) the required hand-holding and guidance to take them from a basic preparation stage right to a referral service. Even if a candidate’s dream interview doesn’t take off, candidates have access to a referral system that ensures they get placed at an equally profitable company.
Priced extremely affordably, Preplaced offers personalized mentoring and support which helps candidates long beyond their mock interview and goes a long way in shaping their overall personality and knowledge.